th state-of-the-art technology, a caring staff and a patient-friendly, healing environment, Emanuel Cancer
Center brings world-class cancer care close to home.
Emanuel Cancer Center is fully accredited by the American College of Surgeons' Commission on Cancer in recognition of its stellar quality of treatment and care. This accreditation is awarded to only about 20 percent of cancer programs in the country. In fact, the Commission recognized the Emanuel Cancer Center program in all eight areas of excellence for which they score.
The goal of the Commission is to promote a multi-disciplinary approach to cancer care that focuses on the well being of the whole patient, while still focusing on curing the disease. Requirements for accreditation include:
- Multi-disciplinary physician involvement in care planning
- Cancer prevention programs
- Continuing clinical education
- Ongoing program improvements
Accreditation by the American College of Surgeons' Commission on Cancer lets patients know they are receiving the best care available - patient-focused treatment based on the latest science.
At Emanuel Cancer Center, we are proud of our accreditation and the peace of mind it provides our patients. Emanuel Cancer Center also proudly houses:
Stanford Emanuel Radiation Oncology Center
Ruby E. Bergman Women's Diagnostic Center
Visit Emanuel Cancer Center and you'll be welcomed by our caring volunteer staff, who are ready to greet and assist you in any way. Emanuel Cancer Center is also home to our wig and scarf room, cancer resources and materials, as well as support groups, classes, social services for patients and their families, and complementary therapies like free massages for cancer patients.
Genetic Counseling Services
Emanuel Cancer center is proud to offer genetic counseling services by a board certified and California licensed genetic counselor. Genetic counseling services are available to individuals who have had cancer, or have a family history of cancer or cancer syndromes. Individuals who are at risk for cancer are welcome to be seen in the genetic counseling clinic. Genetic counseling includes reviewing your family tree and medical history, providing an accurate risk assessment for various types of cancer, discussion of available genetic testing for cancer related genetic conditions, arranging genetic testing and assisting with recommendations to reduce your risk for cancer or recurrence of cancer. All individuals seen in genetic counseling clinic must have a referral from their physician.
Being diagnosed with cancer or having a loved one who has been diagnosed with cancer often causes stress, worry and fear. Many significant concerns begin to formulate including worry about how cancer treatment will affect daily life, fear of death, financial concerns, and other concerns. Oncology social work has become a very important part of cancer treatment as a whole. The National Comprehensive Cancer Network and the American College of Surgeons recommend that all cancer patients be screened for distress and general need. Emanuel Cancer Center is proud to offer a Masters trained social worker at our facility who is ready to address our patients’ psychosocial needs. The social worker is available to patients, families and caregivers through all phases of the cancer continuum including diagnosis, treatment, survivorship, palliative care, and bereavement.
With these services, we help patients and their families to:
- Better cope and adapt to cancer and its effects
- Mobilize support systems, including family and community resources, to enhance emotional support for patients and families while respecting their dignity, confidentiality and rights
- Assist and educate survivors in navigating the health care system
- Assist in the completion of Advanced Directives and/or Physician’s Orders for Life Sustaining Treatment (POLST)
- Identify suitable networking options such as available support groups and complementary therapies
- Screen for psychosocial distress and assist with identifying reasonable solutions
Support Groups / Classes
An important part of Emanuel's approach to cancer care is taking care of the emotional well-being of patients and their loved ones.
We offer a variety of support groups for patients and families, including:
- Monkey Business – a support group for kids, ages 5-13, who have a loved one with cancer;
- Expressive writing group – this group explores the healing process of writing and journaling through cancer. The group is free and open to all who are affected by cancer regardless of writing ability;
- Cancer in Your Life support group – open to all adult cancer patients regardless of site and stage;
- Hospice support groups;
- One-on-one grief support; and
- Look Good, Feel Better - this program teaches beauty techniques to women who are actively undergoing cancer treatment, to help them combat the appearance-related side effects of radiation and chemotherapy. This is a free program sponsored by Emanuel Cancer Center and the American Cancer Society.
For more information or to register, please call (209) 664-5044.
Complimentary massages are available for cancer patients. Please stop by the volunteers’ desk or call (209) 664-2434 to schedule an appointment for a free 30-minute massage.
Emanuel Cancer Center in the News
Breast MRI Offers Clear Health Picture
Weapon to Battle Breast Cancer Arrives in Turlock
To learn more about our programs, call (209) 664-2434.
Emanuel Cancer Center
880 E. Tuolumne Road
Turlock, CA 95382