For the comfort and safety of our patients, please observe the following guidelines to ensure all of our patients get the quiet time they need to rest and recover.
- General hospital visiting hours are from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., but some units have special requirements. See the Visiting Hours page for more information.
- Children under 14 years of age must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Do not visit if you have a cough, fever or any other signs of illness.
- All smoking and the use of any tobacco products on the Emanuel campus, including all buildings and parking lots, is prohibited.
- No more than two visitors at a time are allowed per patient. Visits of 10 to 20 minutes are usually ideal.
- If there are several people in your group, please wait in one of the waiting rooms until it is your turn to visit and do not congregate in the hallways. We provide wireless Internet access from most locations at Emanuel Medical Center so patients and visitors can pass the time. Staff can show you how to connect.
- If possible, try to schedule your visit with the patient. This gives them an opportunity to look and feel their best. Also, please knock and ask permission to enter the room.
- Please be considerate of the roommate of the person you are visiting. They may be sleeping or resting.
- Please keep noise to a minimum.
- Do not bring in outside food to eat in patients' rooms.
- Be respectful of the patient's privacy. If a doctor or nurse needs to talk to or treat the patient, please excuse yourself unless the patient asks you to stay.
Some patients are too ill to have visitors, or may not feel up to it any that moment. Be sensitive to the patient's needs and follow the nurses' instructions. They are looking out for the well-being of the patient.