Aftershave is a lotion, gel, or liquid applied to the face after shaving. It is often used by men. This article discusses the harmful effects from swallowing aftershave products.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
- Ethyl alcohol
- Isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol)
Note: This list may not be all-inclusive.
Aftershaves are sold under various brand names.
Symptoms may include:
Isopropanol may also caused the following additional symptoms:
Seek immediate medical help. Do NOT make a person throw up unless told to do so by poison control or a health care professional.
Before Calling Emergency:
Determine the following information:
- Patient's age, weight, and condition
- Name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
- Time it was swallowed
- Amount swallowed
Poison Control, or a local emergency number:
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Take the container with you to the hospital, if possible.
See: Poison control center - emergency number
What to expect at the emergency room:
The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. The patient may receive:
- Activated charcoal
- Breathing support
- Medicines to treat symptoms
- Nasogastric (NG) tube through the nose into the stomach to empty the stomach (gastric lavage )
Aftershave poisoning usually occurs in small children. It may also occur in persons with alcoholism, who may drink the product when other alcohol runs out.
The outcome depends on how much is swallowed. This poisoning is not usually deadly. Survival over 24 hours usually means the patient will recover.
Berk W, Henderson W. Alcohols. In: Tintinalli J. Emergency Medicine - A Comprehensive Study Guide. 6th ed. McGraw-Hill; 2004:chap. 166.
|Review Date: 2/9/2009|
Reviewed By: A.D.A.M. Editorial Team: David Zieve, MD, MHA, Greg Juhn, MTPW, David R. Eltz. Previously reviewed by Stephen C Acosta, MD, Department of Emergency Medicine, Portland VA Medical Center, Portland, OR. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network (5/20/2008).
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997-
A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.