Amitriptyline and perphenazine is a combination drug that is sometimes prescribed for patients with depression, agitation, or anxiety.
Amitriptyline and perphenazine overdose occurs when someone accidentally or intentionally takes more than the normal or recommended amount of this medication.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
See also: Amitriptyline overdose
Etrafon overdose; Triavil overdose; Triptazine overdose
Amitriptyline and perphenazine
Note: This list may not be all-inclusive.
- Airways and lungs
- Bladder and kidneys
- Eyes, ears, nose, throat, and mouth
- Heart and blood
- Muscles and joints
- Nervous system
- Reproductive system
- Stomach and intestines
Before Calling Emergency:
Determine the following information:
- Patient's age, weight, and condition
- Name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
- Time it was swallowed
- Amount swallowed
- If the medication was prescribed for the patient
Poison Control, or a local emergency number:
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
See: Poison control center - emergency number
What to expect at the emergency room:
The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate.
The patient may receive:
- Activated charcoal
- Antidote (sodium bicarbonate) to reverse the effects of the overdose
- Breathing help, possible artificial respiration
- Tube from the mouth into the stomach to empty the stomach (gastric lavage )
How well a patient does depends on how much of the drug was swallowed and how quickly medical treatment was received. The faster a patient receives medical help, the better the chance for recovery.
Survival past 2 weeks is usually a good sign.
Woolf AD, Erdman AR, Nelson LS, et al. American Association of Poison Control Centers. Tricyclic antidepressant poisoning: an evidence-based consensus guideline for out-of-hospital management. Clin Toxicol. 2007;45(3):203-233.