Diclofenac sodium is a prescription medicine used to relieve pain and swelling. It is an nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). Diclofenac sodium overdose occurs when someone accidentally or intentionally takes more than the normal or recommended amount of this medication.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
Diclofenac sodium is a prescription medication. Brands include:
Note: This list may not be all-inclusive
In very rare cases, breathing problems, coma, convulsions, and blurred vision may occur.
Seek immediate medical help. Do NOT make a person throw up unless you are told to do so by a doctor or poison control.
Before Calling Emergency:
Determine the following information:
- Patient's age, weight, and condition
- Name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
- Time it was swallowed
- Amount swallowed
- If the medication was prescribed for the patient
Poison Control, or a local emergency number:
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
See: Poison control center - emergency number
What to expect at the emergency room:
The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate.
The patient may receive:
- Activated charcoal
- Tube through the mouth into the stomach to empty the stomach (gastric lavage )
Taking too much of this medication is not usually a problem. You may have some pain in your stomach and vomiting (possibly with blood). However, these symptoms will likely get better.
In rare cases you may also hear ringing in your ears and have a bad headache, but these symptoms will likely pass as well.