Secobarbital is a drug used to treat insomnia. It may also be given before surgery to relieve anxiety. Secobarbital overdose occurs when someone takes too much of this medicine.
This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.
Meballymal overdose; Quinalbarbitone sodium overdose
This list may not be all-inclusive.
- Airways and lungs
- Heart and blood
- Low blood pressure
- Weak pulse
- Nervous system
Before Calling Emergency:
Determine the following information:
- The patient's age, weight, and condition
- The name of the product (ingredients and strengths if known)
- The time it was swallowed
- The amount swallowed
- If the medication was prescribed for the patient
Poison Control, or a local emergency number:
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Take the container with you to the hospital, if possible.
See: Poison control center - emergency number
What to expect at the emergency room:
The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. The patient may receive:
- Activated charcoal
- Blood test to determine how much of the drug is in the blood
- Tube through the mouth or nose into the stomach to wash out the stomach (gastric lavage )
The outcome depends on the symptoms.
- Mild -- The patient can be aroused. No further treatment will probably be necessary.
- Moderate -- Breathing and other vital signs are normal. The patient cannot be aroused. Recovery will probably occur within 24 - 48 hours with proper care.
- Severe -- Breathing and other vital signs may be abnormal. The patient cannot be aroused. Recovery will probably occur within 3 - 5 days, depending on the amount swallowed.
Goldfrank LR, ed. Goldfrank's Toxicologic Emergencies. 8th ed. New York, NY: McGraw Hill; 2006.
|Review Date: 2/3/2009|
Reviewed By: John E. Duldner, Jr., MD, MS, Assistant Professor of Emergency Medicine, Department of Emergency Medicine, Samaritan Regional Health System, Ashland, Ohio. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997-
A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.